The video game industry is experiencing unprecedented growth. In 2020 publishers earned an average of 20% more from games for consoles, smartphones, and PCs than in the previous year. Never before have so many people loved video games and been willing to spend big money on them.
Skeptics will say we have marketers to thank for this, and they would be right, but only in part. We believe that the success of today’s mobile game development industry rests on the shoulders of the people who create new games. These are gamers who grew up as game experts and came into the profession with a desire to make even better games and most of them mastered the Unity game engine. In this article, we’ll break down who Unity programmers are, as well as look at where and how to hire them.
Who are Unity programmers?
Unity programmers are essentially people who mastered one of the cornerstones of the modern game development industry. With basic skills, free Unity engine, and knowledge of the C# language, a programmer can implement an idea of any complexity. With Unity, you have the tools to create 2D and 3D games, and you can port games to any popular platform (including the big consoles, mobile, and Nintendo Switch). It’s the most popular engine for mobile games and indie projects.
Unlike other free-to-play engines, Unity keeps up with the industry: adding support for new platforms as they are released, and supporting modern rendering techniques, including real-time ray tracing. This allows for a level of photorealism no worse than in AAA games on Unreal Engine and other engines with expensive licenses.
Unity is often used to make prototypes to find a future publisher or investor willing to invest in a project. This is a universal engine for testing and developing a project, and it is convenient to edit the game after it has been released, for example, if you need to add a big update.
Where and how to find Unity Programmers
Taking into account financial resources and the urgency of hiring, there are several strategies to choose from when looking for candidates for the Unity game developers.
- Referrals. An effective way to find the best unity programmers is to contact them through personal and professional networks. You are more likely to find a highly qualified Unity programmer.
- Online communities. There are several platforms that are great for finding experienced Unity programmers such as Clutch and GoodFirms. You can post a list of jobs and evaluate candidates as they come in, or do a search and reach out in advance to developers who meet your criteria.
- On a more specialized front, there are outsourcing and outstaffing companies like RexSoft, which bring in the best talent from the software development market, increasing your chances of finding a highly qualified Unity programmer for your project.
- Other valuable resources are software development communities such as Quora or GitHub, where Unity programmers share their know-how or technical skills with other engineers. Gaining insight into how Unity programmer solves a technical problem, presents an opinion, or analyzes code quality will help you identify opportunities to find the right candidate for your business with a more effective screening process.
- Conferences/Bootcamps/Hackathons. You can find Unity programmers who are passionate about what they do at these types of events. These are developers who are not only interested in improving their technical skills but also looking to improve their interpersonal skills. These meetings allow you to approach the candidate you’re interested in directly and start a conversation that will help you see if the Unity programmer might be a good fit.
Whether you’re assembling a team of Unity programmers for a new project or want to expand your current one, finding the right software developer for your business can be a real journey. Recent studies show that hiring talent is the second biggest challenge in software development.
On the one hand, the demand for software engineers exceeds the current supply of skilled labor. And while the number of software engineers is also growing, estimated to reach 28.7 million in 2024, there is still a shortage of top talent, making it difficult for businesses to find the right and affordable candidate, and for the gaming industry, this is especially true.
We recommend that you don’t waste your time searching but hire an already established team of Unity programmers. RexSoft has been providing developers from Eastern Europe with the best prices on the market for over 8 years. We have a lot of hit projects and thousands of downloads in Play Market and AppStore.